Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A bit of books

So, last week my book club got together and between the food and catching up, we actually got around to talking about a few books we'd been reading.







Heather highly recommended Sammy's Hill and Sammy's House, two laugh-out-loud reads by Kristin Gore. Yes, she is Al Gore's daughter, and yes, apparently, quite a gifted writer. I love funny books, so this one has definitely been placed on the top of my to-read list.




Kristen had found the Shopaholic series written by S0phie Kinisella, one of my favorite authors. Her enthusiasm led me to revisit one of my all-time favorite characters, Becky Bloomwood. Heather and Kristen both wondered how anyone (meaning, Becky) could be so stupid (their words, not mine), but they loved her anyway. I said I was just thankful that not all the lightbulbs burned brightly, allowing me to laugh at her little tangles with life--even in the second and third re-readings of the books.



But wait! Now I don't have even more to look forward to! Check out this trailer from You-Tube.







Although she couldn't join us, Vicki suggested via email, The Glass Castle, a memoir (I think) by Jeannette Walls about dysfunctional parents who choose to live on the streets.



I can not imagine this actually being a choice, when one can otherwise be in a secure home, so I think this could be one of those reads that will bring me on an unexpected, new journey.




I, of course, suggested the Uglies, Pretties, and Specials, if you hadn't already noticed my latest entries on Shelfari bookshelf. I could not put these books down and finished all three books within a week.


As far as other decisions left hanging in my last post, I opted to send in my registration for the Utah-Idaho SCBWI conference in Salt Lake City on November 15. Jill Dembowski, the editor coming from Little, Brown, has liked my mss in the past, so it will be nice to meet her in person (if I'm so lucky and, er, brave to make the introduction).



This whole post is feeling rather journalistic, so I think I'll stop and jump back into the fun, free-ranging prose of my latest work-in-progress.



cheers!

2 comments:

  1. I loved the Uglies trilogy too!! I recommend them to everyone, because I just think Westerfeld did such a great job of melding a message, a comment on society, and a fun story. Maybe I read too much into them, but I loved them just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becca!
    I got the same message out of them, but it definitely didn't detract from the story. There's a fourth book called Extras, but I haven't read it yet. On the to-do list. I just finished Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George and totally loved it. Guess I need to update my shelf ... Right now I'm reading The Wednesdays Wars by Gary Schmidt and am loving it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! Your comment will appear soon after approval