Tuesday, June 9, 2020

WIFYR Day 1. Swapping notes with my character

Today marked the first day of a weeklong conference: Writing and Illustrating for Young Readers.

I'm blessed to be participating in the Novel Bootcamp Workshop with Kathryn Purdie, author of YA books such as Burning Glass and Bone Crier's Moon.




Our first assignment this morning was to allow our main character to write us a note about how they felt.  Here's what my main character, Meg, had to say:

Look, it's about time you get this done. We've been sharing headspace for a while. You rehash words. You rehash me. Edit every last sentence, and I think it's time you trust in the story that needs to be told. No edits. No tweaks. Just trust that I'm ready to carry myself on the page. A bunch of pages, actually. One after the other so that I can get myself to where I need to go.


Here's my reply:

Dear Meg,

Whoa! You're far too young to be forging ahead like that on your own. We came here to gain perspective on how we can both grow. You, as a girl trying to figure out her place. Me, as a writer trying to become a better wordsmith. Yet, here we are on day 1, and already you're acting like you have a mind of your own. Sheesh!

Obviously, we have a lot of work to do. Please, sit down. Stay a while. Let's plan this story out and not get too crazy.... Although I admit, maybe I should loosen the reins a little bit, put my editor hat away, and see exactly what it is that you want to say.... 

I mean it. I'm ready to listen. You go first.

Ha!

What an interesting way to get geared up for tackling the journey ahead. 

Happy writing, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! Your comment will appear soon after approval