Tuesday, March 6, 2012

World Read Aloud Day, March 7

So we've gone from sitting down and taking a few quiet moments with a new ebook on your Kindle/Nook/WhathaveYou to READING OUT LOUD.

March 7 is World Read Aloud Day, which is a world-wide initiative Take Action for Global Literacy, Celebrate the Power of Words, and Change the World by sharing the joys of reading with those in our lives.

How do I plan to celebrate? I'll start in my science classroom by challenging the students to read from the text as if they were a newscaster delivering a "Breaking Story" on the news. Or, other students  might choose to read as if they were auditioning for the leading role in the next blockbuster movie. We've done this before, and it's always a lot of fun.

I'll round out my day by sharing a few chapters from the latest books my kids are reading. Then, perhaps if I still have some energy left, I'll write a new chapter of my own.

Read ON and Read LOUD! 

1 comment:

  1. I was just thinking, are you going to use those classic folk tales for kids that our mum used to read when we were younger or you're gonna use those new contemporary read aloud books by those new authors?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! Your comment will appear soon after approval